Saturday 26 December 2015

Sketchbooks...

Comparing my use of sketchbooks to practising illustrators...

Similarly to Scott Garrett, I use Daler Rowney and Moleskine A6 hardback sketchbooks. I use these quite preciously; every page is a finished drawing. I find them really useful when I know exactly what I want to draw and how I want it to look. However there are plenty of reasons why I like these sketchbooks: They’re small so I can take them with me when I go out, they’ve got loads of pages in them so they take a while for me to fill them up and I find it really satisfying to flick through a thick sketchbook of finished drawings.

Scott Garret

Scott Garrett


My sketchbooks
                                       

My sketchbooks


I also recently started using A5 paperback sketchbooks by Seawhite. These I find very liberating as they just feel much more disposable and although I keep them all, I have no problem with making mistakes or filling pages with scribbles and pen/paint tests etc. I use these sketchbooks for preliminary sketches and designing textures which I then scan in. I suppose the way I use these sketchbooks is similar to Tim Marrs’ sketchbooks we looked through. Some pages are seemingly full of indecipherable nonsense whereas other pages feel quite substantial and could be used as finished pieces. I also use these sketchbooks when I’m studying something, for example, a double page spread of whales I did whilst studying them (view below).

Tim Marrs A3

Tim Marrs A3


My sketchbook

My sketchbook

Ink tests. 
Messed up but didn't rip it out. 
Just turned the page and tried again.

Whale study and notes.



In future I’m going to challenge myself to use bigger sketchbooks like A3 as I always work small and I liked how Tim Marrs had lots of elements on each page in his A3 books. I think I will find it very overwhelming to begin with but I would like to give it a go. 

Below are just more from my sketchbooks...


Animation: http://charlotteroseillustration.blogspot.co.uk/p/gifs.html






















No comments:

Post a Comment