Saturday 26 December 2015

Becca Stadtlander...

Becca Stadtlander

Astrological map, 2007


There are many reasons I love Becca Stadtlander’s work and particularly this image. I chose this image because I find it enchanting. The circular image on a square white background gives enough blank space to frame it but not too much that it’s distracting. The patchy dark blue background not only gives it depth but also looks like we’re looking into space. I also like how the uneven edge of the circle gives it a more handmade look and hasn't been tampered with too much.


Although this illustration doesn't tackle any new ideas or have a deep contextual background, which I am usually more drawn to, and is perhaps more just a pretty representation of an idea that’s been around since at least 1000BC, I think the detailed illustrations of each zodiac sign demonstrates human imagination and the mysteries of space. As I mentioned before, the blue background makes it look like we’re watching these constellations in the night sky and seeing all these ghostly figures dancing around above our heads. It reminds me of being a child and watching the stars or making images out of the clouds

This illustration although sold as a print, could actually be used in an educational way as all the constellations are accurate.


To make this image Becca Stadtlander has used Gouache paint on watercolour paper which is how the light on dark has been achieved and a faint texture from the paper has been retained. 


No comments:

Post a Comment